Monday, July 7, 2008

The Kite Runner


written by: Khaled Hosseni

pages:372

my rating 1- 5 stars:

4 stars!!

Amir grew up in the middle east. His mother died giving birth to him. He strives to make his father happy and for him to get a pat on the back from his father. He has one true friend, Hassan, who would do something for him a thousand times over, who protects him and makes his bed. That's right his best friend is the son of his father's servant.
Everything changes when he sees and does nothing to stop the town bully from doing something horrible to Hassan. He doesn't talk to Hassan anymore he even lans his day so he doesn't run into Hassan setting the kitchen table for breakfast. Then he does something that leads up to Amir and his father moving to America. He likes it in America, he has even found a girl that he likes. One day he recieves a phone call from one of his father's old friends in the middle east who is dying and wants Amir to go see him. When he gets there he realizes that his father's friend doesn't just want to say goodbye...

This is a great book. It was not a book that made me not let go of it until I finished it. that was because it was kind of slow, but it did have a powerfull and astonishing story that I will never forget. This book is mainly for adults, due to language, violence and adult topics. But I still think it is a good book for teens 15 years old and up. I recommend this book to everyone in that age group.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I saw this book at my library when I was shelving books, and the cover caught my attention... I wanted to check it out, but I made a vow to myself that I wouldn't check out any more books until I had all the ones on my bookshelf read, haha.

Anonymous said...

I read this book for my Religions of Asia Seminar class and really enjoyed it. I want to read Khaled's new book A Thousand Splendid Suns but I just haven't had the time.

Great review. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't read many books but found this a very good read. It does start slow, but I found the story and the culture very interesting. I really enjoyed the end.