Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Summoning


written by: Kelley Armstrong

pages: 400

my rating 1-5 stars:

4~5 stars!!

Chole Saunders woke up to a dream, about her as a little girl seeing people that wasn't really there, in a house with a basement. Even though she know that she has never lived in a house with a basement, the dream seems very familiar.
She goes to school still thinking about that untypical dream, when a janitor asks her for her help. Chole has never seen this janitor before, she runs from him and when teachers try to calm her down he is there still asking for help. All the teachers say that there was never a janitor there, Chole was imagining it, or was she?
Because of this she is sent to Lyle House, which is a house for perturbed teens. While she is there she meets some other teens that don't belong there just like her but also seem a lot different then they seem. She also finds out that the house may have a mysterious and very strange past.
Chole starts on a incredible journey to discover the answer to all the questions about the Lyle House in this first book in Kelley Armstrong's newest trilogy Darkest Powers.

I loved this book! It reminded me a little bit of Harry Potter except that Chole isn't a wizard, she doesn't go to a wizard school and The Summoning is strictly a young adult book. The reason this book didn't get a solid five stars is because the beginning of the book is kind of slow. And the only part that has a lot of action is the very ending. But overall it was a great book that did keep me hanging on to every page. I cannot wait until the second book in the trilogy comes out!

I have really enjoyed reading books that are sort of fantasy and also reality teen book, like The Summoning and Generation Dead. It is a great new genre and the next book I plan on reading like those, is Evernight (once I purchase it off amazon). I recommend this book to every teen out there! So stop reading this review and go to the nearest bookstore or go to amazon.com and buy it today!

~*~ Due to content in this book I do not recommend this to any one under the age of 13.~*~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's not out yet, is it?

I just finished reading this book yesterday for FirstLook, and I LOVED it. I'm surprised you thought the beginning was slow- the book sucked me in right away and it felt to me at least that we were propelled as a reader right into the situation at hand and compelled along to read the rest because of the mystery behind it all.

But perhaps that's just me.

Kyle said...

It actually just came out yesterday (July 1st).

The Compulsive Reader said...

I've had this book sitting on my shelf for about a week now and haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Interesting review though, I'll have to give it a go!

Carolina said...

I LOVED this book. It was amazing. I can't wait for the sequel.

Anonymous said...

I just realized afterward that apparently HarperTeen moved up the release date by a LOT. I didn't realize that it would have been out this soon since the FirstLook reviews were due on July 1!

But I'm glad this fantastic book came out earlier than originally planned. :)